Noralee and I went to the polls early Tuesday morning, and stood in line eagerly with lots of other Albany folks. Luckily we didn't have to wait too long since we (Kevin and I, not Noralee... no voter fraud here) had filled out our absentee ballots.
Of course we're thrilled with the election results. More than ever before, I feel a strong sense of optimism for the future, for the United States and then especially for Noralee. Under President Obama (and beyond), it is exciting to think of the world Noralee will grow up in. Yes, there is a small race consideration here, only because we are raising a "biracial" child - although this is so commonplace in the Bay Area (probably more the rule than the exception) that it's rarely an issue. Beyond that, there's this window of opportunity to make progress on crucial issues like healthcare, energy and environmental policy, education, etc.
I won't continue to go on about politics, but I will quote Michelle Obama here... this is the first time in my adult life when I've felt really proud of my country.
ps: Election Night also coincided with the first time Noralee tried baked spaghetti (which we made in honor of swing state Florida... we made Cuban Black Bean soup and Key Lime pie too). Yep, she showed her Friedman roots - she loved it.
No comments:
Post a Comment